If a BOI company wants to hire foreigners for work, what should they do?
At present, many foreigners want to work in Thailand because Thailand has a low cost of living and the medical expenses are relatively cheap. Companies in Thailand all need foreigners with knowledge and interesting ability to make their company grow and develop in a better way than before. However, to get foreigners to work, many steps must do especially indispensable things are obtaining a visa and applying for a work permit.
- Apply for a Visa for travel and stay in Thailand which foreigners must stay in Thailand within the specified time.
- Apply for a Work Permit request to work legally in Thailand.
Apply for a Visa entering to Thailand
First of all, the foreigner must apply for a Non-Immigrant B visa. After the foreigner has obtained a Non-Immigrant B visa, they can travel to Thailand for up to 90 days. They can apply for a visa from the Thai embassy abroad that each embassy will ask for different documents. They must go to check the documents with the embassy in that country. The main documents are documents confirming that they were actually invited to work, and the most important document is Letter from the BOI department ask via https://swe-expert.boi.go.th/ (in this section, you have to request a position from BOI first) or the employment office (WP. 3) by requesting that the employment office in the area where the company established.
- For companies under BOI promotion - It can prepare relevant documents such as Thai or English language qualification only, a Work Certificate of relevant lines, all company documents with scanned editions, and explain the reasons why it is necessary to hire this foreigner. When approved, you can make an appointment on the website to submit to One-Stop Service at Chamchuri Square.
- For companies not under BOI promotion - They must visit the employment office in the same area where the company is established. Foreigners must do a medical examination that they do not have 5 serious diseases prohibited for work. Then, prepare documents to apply for a Work Permit. Once you have obtained a Work Permit, you can apply for a visa extension at the Immigration Office at Chaengwattana Government Center.
Apply for a Work Permit
There are two types of work permit applications, depending on the form of registration of each company which must check the details of whether the company has the right to hire foreigners to work or not.
- A company in the type of business requested for investment promotion - BOI
This type of company is difficult in the process of obtaining an Investment Promotion Certificate because there must have a clear production plan that takes a long time. For hiring foreigners to work, you can apply for approval online which is a convenient and fast channel but it has the following conditions;
- There is no minimum salary requirement for foreigners but must have 2 years of relevant work experience in case of graduating in a field that matches the job. If not studying in a job-related field, they must have 5 years of relevant experience.
- A company registered normally with the Ministry of Commerce and there is no Promotion Certificate from BOI
- There is a requirement to have a minimum salary of 25,000 - 50,000 baht/month depending on the nationality of the foreigner which countries in Europe and America are more expensive than in Asia.
- If you want to hire 1 foreigner, you must have 4 full-time Thai employees and there is a limitation that the company must have a minimum registered capital of at least 2 million baht per foreign employee who wants to hire.
More in-depth information including required documentation can be found at:
- For documents in applying for a work permit: >> https://www.doe.go.th
- For documents in applying for a visa extension: >> https://www.immigration.go.th
หากบริษัท BOI ต้องการให้ชาวต่างชาติเข้ามาทำงาน ควรทำอย่างไร?