How is different between Visa on Arrival (VOA) and Free Visa?
Currently, Thailand allows foreign tourists from many countries to travel to Thailand without a visa, just show the passport. Many people wondering that how is different between Visa on Arrival (VOA) and Free Visa? Which countries are eligible? And how to proceed? The Wonderful Package will answer these questions.
What are the Visa on Arrival (VOA) and Free Visa (Postpone 30 days)?
- Visa on Arrival (VOA) is the visa that the passport holder can request to stay for tourism purposes at permission checkpoint of domestic Immigration. The period of stay is not more than 15 days and do not need to do in advance (Getting a visa when arriving in Thailand). The eligible countries are 18 nationalities and 1 economic zone only.
- Free Visa (Postpone 30 days) means the passport holders will be exempt from visas for entry into the country for tourism for not more than 30 days. There are 56 eligible countries for visa exemption.
The difference between Visa on Arrival (VOA) and Free Visa as below.
The duration of stay
|1. Visa on Arrival
||Apply for a visa at the Immigration checkpoint
||No more than 15 days
||Do not need to do in advance
|2. Free Visa
||No need to apply a visa, can walk through the Immigration
checkpoint into Thailand
|No more than 30 days
||Entering the country without a visa
The similarities between the two types of visas are for tourism purposes only. Do not work and do not stay longer than the permitted period.
If staying beyond the allowable period, you will fines 500 baht/day but not more than 20,000 baht and will not be allowed to return into the Kingdom of Thailand.
Qualifications of Thai visa applicants.
- Holding passport or travel documents and the validity of more than 6 months.
- Having evidence that you will travel out of Thailand after finish stay in Thailand such as Air Ticket and holding a Visa or evidence that you can go out to your country of residence or continue to another countries (For transit).
- Not be a person banned from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act 1979.
Which countries can obtain a Visa on Arrival and Free Visa in Thailand?
** Holders of diplomatic, official and ordinary passports of all 3 countries (Brazil, South Korea, and Peru) will be exempt from visa and allowed to stay in Thailand for no more than 90 days (instead of staying for 30 days according to the Ministry of Interior's announcement).
- It is recommended to recheck the information before traveling because it is the authorization of the destination country which may be changed.
- Some foreigners may not be allowed to enter the country. If the immigration officer considers that person has characteristics or circumstances that are prohibited from entering the Kingdom according to the Immigration Act 1979.
- The consideration to allow the extension of stay from the immigration office will consider based on the purpose of stay and reasons of necessity including the nationality of the applicant according to the Royal Thai Police Headquarters order 606/2549. In practice for the case of not allowing to stay, the Immigration Bureau will allow to stay for another 7 days for preparation for departure.
Thank you for information from
Answering how to use the rights to postpone for 30 days and other types of visas :
In the case of foreigners receiving rights to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for 30 days and obtain a tourist visa (TR) for Single Re-entry.
When traveling to Thailand and do not use tourist visas (TR), but will claim the right to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for 30 days to reserve the obtained visa for coming to Thailand next time, the Immigration Bureau is not allowed to use. Because of the foreigner has been granted a visa, they must use the right as requested.
By claiming that he has the right to choose one of them considered a misunderstanding because it is considered that Thailand grants that right and reserves the right to refuse the visa or not at any time.
If you want to enter Thailand more than one time, you have to request a visa for the number of times you want (Multiple Re-entry) but not more than 3 times. When there is clear evidence that this is a short-term entry for no more than 1-2 days to change the plane before traveling to another destination and then will return to Thailand for tourism again In this case, the traveler must bring the plane ticket.
However, to consider allowing travelers to postpone stay for 30 days for entering Thailand first time case by case. In case of have evidence that this is a short-term entry for no more than 1-2 days to transit before traveling to another destination, and after that will return to Thailand for tourism again, the traveler must show the air ticket, reservation accommodation or a rental car reservation for confirmation so they will have a permission from Immigration Bureau.
Please see how to request a Re-entry from https://bit.ly/3dK6E86
Thank you for information from
Current news about Covid-19
Due to the situation of the Covid-19 epidemic, to reduce the risk of future outbreaks, Thailand canceled Visa on Arrival in 18 countries and Free Visa in 3 risky countries temporarily. It will effect from today until 30 September 2020.
The list of countries that have been canceled Visa on Arrival (VOA) and Free Visa (Postpone for 30 days).
- According to the order of the Ministry of Interior No. 1/2020 on the stipulation of conditions for allowing certain classes of foreigners to temporarily enter the Kingdom.
- This suspension order applies to ordinary passports and documents used instead of passports only.
- If tourists from that country want to travel to Thailand, they have to contact the Thai Embassy in each country.
- This suspension of travel is only for Visa on arrival and postpone for 30 days (3 countries) only. Some countries have 2 privileges to enter Thailand, allowing the remaining privileges to be used. For example, Russia has 2 privileges which are Visa on arrival and postpone for 30 days. As of suspension order applies for the Visa on arrival only, so Russian citizens can still enter Thailand using the privileges as of postpone for 30 days.
You can see updates list of countries that have been canceled Visa on Arrival (VOA) and Free Visa temporarily from www.mcot.net
Thank you for information from
- Government Contact Center
Visa on Arrival (VOA) และ Free Visa (ผ.30) มีความเหมือนและแตกต่างกันยังไง?