During the Covid-19 situation, can I change a Non-B visa type from Meeting to Working?
Because of Covid-19 situation, foreigners cannot travel outside Thailand according to the measures of the Immigration Bureau. If the foreigner has a Visa Non-B (Non-Immigration Visa Business) to attend the meeting and they would like to change their purpose to work, is it possible?
Wonderful Package would like to recommend the following information.
- A foreigner wishing to work in Thailand is a Chinese.
- They still live in Thailand and have a Single Entry / Visa Non-B (Meeting) for 90 days period of stay and it will expire on April 30, 2020.
- Due to the Covid-19 situation, Immigration Bureau extended the period of stay and stamped on it until May 15, 2020.
- Currently, they got a job from a new company so they would like to have Visa Non-B for work and Work Permit.
Wonderful Package will divide it into 3 issues.
- Change a Non-B visa type from Meeting to 1-year Working Visa.
- Request to do a new Work Permit because the current work permit will expire and they will start work with a new company.
- Renew a 1-year Visa Non-B or equal to Work Permit
Issue 1: Foreigners would like to change a Non-B visa type from Meeting to 1-year Working Visa and a 1-year Work Permit.
- For Meeting type, foreigners cannot change to Working type because you enter Thailand for different objectives.
- Foreigners must leave Thailand and apply for a new Visa (Non-B Visa or Tourist / Transit Visa) for a 90-day period.
- Visa application documents depend on the conditions of the Thai embassy in China. (https://thaiembbeij.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/01-form-visa.pdf)
- Foreigners do not forget to choose the type of entry and exit of the visa clearly from the beginning. If you want to go outside and return to Thailand many times, you should do a Multiple Re–Entry Permit so you don't have to waste time and pay extra expenses to request a Re-entry Permit before leaving the country again.
- Currently, foreigners are still unable to leave the country according to the announcement of the Immigration Bureau which is suspended travel from 9 to 30 April 2020 because of Covid-19 situation. In the meantime, foreigners should wait for an announcement from the Immigration Bureau in late April whether to extend the visa or allow them to leave the country. (www.immigration.go.th/index)
Issue 2: Foreigners request to do a new Work Permit.
- Once a foreigner enter Thailand with Visa Non-B (Working type), they should immediately apply for a new Work Permit at the Department of Employment, the telephone number is 1506.
- Apply for a Work Permit (WP.1) and supporting documents depends on the type of your working company. (https://www.doe.go.th/prd/assets/upload/files/ubon_th/7d6030dbdded2c77d3ff20619aece1ba.pdf)
Issue 3: Foreigners request to extend a Visa Non-B after receiving Work Permit.
- Apply for 1-Year Visa Non-B, you can proceed at the Immigration Bureau, the telephone number is 1178.
- Apply for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom (TM.7), please see supporting documents from this link www.immigration.go.th/content/service_1.
For foreigners who already have Tourist Visa / Transit Visa and want to change to be Visa Non-B for work.
- Changing both types of visas will require more than 15 days for the visa period, otherwise, the authorities will not accept the submission.
- Change visa categories at Immigration Bureau Office (Chaeng Watthana) Building B, Floor 2, South, the telephone number is 02-141-9902.
- Apply for a Change of Visa (TM.86), please see this link www.immigration.go.th/download/.
- Please see supporting documents for a Change of Visa at www.immigration.go.th/content/sv_bwork.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Wonderful Package. We have a team to help and serve you.
Thank you for information from
- Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Immigration Bureau
- Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour
ในช่วงสถานการณ์โควิด-19 หากมีวีซ่า Non-B แบบ Meeting อยากเปลี่ยนเป็นวีซ่า Non-B แบบทำงาน ทำได้หรือไม่