If wanting to live in Thailand after retirement, what are the criteria to extend Non-Immigrant Visa "O"?
Thailand is a top tourist destination in the world. Due to good weather, the food is unique and delicious, Thai people are kind and have a beautiful smiles, good culture, a low cost of living, convenient, safe and much more so many foreigners who have been here choose Thailand for a destination for living after retirement.
The Wonderful Package recommends useful information for those who are interested to come to live in Thailand after retirement.
First of all, foreigners over 50 years old and do not work should proceed with a Non-O Retirement visa at the Thai embassy at the Thai Consulate-General in the resident country. The rules and supporting documents can check on the website thaiembassy.org of each country. (Each country may have different conditions.) However, this visa type is allowed to stay in the Kingdom for no more than 90 days.
After entering Thailand and want to extend the visa to stay longer, you can apply for Visa Extension at the Immigration Bureau, Government Center, Building B, Chaeng Wattana, or the Provincial Office for Immigration Bureau. The duration of Visa Extension depends on the discretion of the immigration officer.
There are 3 types of Non-Immigrant Visa "O" (Retirement). What is different?
- Non-Immigrant "O" Visa is a 90-day residence permit and can be extended for another 1 year.
- Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa is a 1-year residence permit and can be extended for another 1 year.
- Non-Immigrant "O-X" Visa is a 5-year residence permit and can be extended for another 5 years.
These 3 types of visas vary in duration of stay and visa extension period, criteria, and supporting documents.
The criteria for applying for a Retirement Visa.
- Age 50 years up
- Having a Non-O Visa for 90 days and staying in Thailand for 60 days
- Having proof of income from the bank in Thailand such as a bank account
- Non-O Visa and Non-O-A Visa: income/retirement income 65,000 baht per month for a minimum of 12 months or combined of deposits/ pension 800,000 baht per year for a minimum of 3 months.
- Non-O-X Visa: income / retirement income 100,000 baht per month for a minimum of 12 months or combined of deposits/ pension 3,000,000 baht per year for a minimum of 3 months.
- Confirmation Letter from the bank in Thailand (Saving/ Fixed Deposit) and Bank statement.
Supporting documents for applying for a Retirement Visa
- Application Form TM.7
- Two passport sized photo (4 x 6 cm and taken within 6 months)
- Passport (Validity of not less than 18 months) with a copy
- Copy of visa and latest arrival stamped page
- Evidence of income from the bank in Thailand such as a copy of bank account
- Confirmation Letter from the bank in Thailand (Saving/ Fixed Deposit)
- Health Insurance Policy Certificate http://longstay.tgia.org
- Retirement Visa Extension fee 1,900 baht (non-refundable)
Things to know
- Not allowing a Retirement Visa holders to work in Thailand
- For visa extension, can be applied at least 21 days before the expiration of the visa
- Those holding a 1-year visa or more are required to report every 90 days at the Immigration Bureau in the current residential area.
- The 90-day report can be submitted 14 days in advance or no later than 7 days from the date specified for the report.
- In cases of late reporting for more than 90 days, must report by yourself and pay a fine of 2,000 baht, or if a foreigner has been arrested for any reason must pay a fine of 4,000 baht.
- In case of traveling outside Thailand, when you returning, it starts counting new from the first day you enter Thailand for 90 days.
- Those who have a Single Entry visa, if need to leave the country and want to return to Thailand with a Non-O Retirement Visa as before, should apply for a Re-Entry permit before leaving the country at the nearest Immigration Bureau or the international airport for departure. This will prevent the visa to be canceled. See more information at https://bit.ly/2Xw9Dds
If you need more information or any advice on visa extensions, please contact the Wonderful Package. We have a team to provide services and willing to advise you.
Thank you for information from